Side Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury Louisiana
No Upfront Fees
On Our Cases
With Our Office
Side Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury Louisiana
At Cueria Law Firm, we represent individuals who have suffered from personal injury, including spinal cord injuries. A spinal cord injury is a serious condition that can lead to partial or full paralysis of the full body or parts of…
At Cueria Law Firm, we represent individuals who have suffered from personal injury, including spinal cord injuries. A spinal cord injury is a serious condition that can lead to partial or full paralysis of the full body or parts of the body. A car accident, fall from a great height or work-related accident can result in a spinal cord injury. When your spine is injured, it can lead to major difficulty in everyday functions. You will need regular medical care along with rehabilitation or other therapies to try and learn how to live in your present condition or work on relearning skills.
Common Side Effects
The spinal cord is protected by the spinal column. The spinal column consists of 33 vertebrae that have a hole at the center where the spinal cord runs through. If the vertebrae are injured, the spinal cord can be affected, which results in delays in brain function. The type of side effects you face will depend on the type of spinal injury you are subject to. An injury to the neck area can result in paralysis of the entire body, including the arms and legs. An injury to the mid to lower back can result in paralysis of the lower extremities.
Side effects common to a spinal cord injury include:
- Breathing difficulty—a ventilator may be needed when the spinal cord is damaged in certain areas of the body.
- Low Blood Pressure/Irregular Heartbeat—in the cervical region of the body, a spinal cord injury can result in blood pressure that is unstable or an irregular heartbeat.
- Blood Clots—an individual with a spinal cord injury has an increased risk of developing blood clots
- Spasms—when damage occurs to the spinal cord, the brain stops regulating reflexes to the body as information is not relayed properly. This can lead to spastic movement.
- Pressure Sores—constant pressure can cause the skin tissue of the body to break down. An individual with a spinal cord injury that is paralyzed cannot move on their own which can see pressure sores created if the individual is not moved or rotated properly
- Pain—neurogenic pain can be caused due to nerve damage from the spinal cord injury
- Problems with bladder/bowel control—in most cases, a spinal cord injury will affect the bowel and bladder function of the body. A catheter may be needed for bladder control and a bowel program created
- Sexual Function issues—men are more greatly affected by sexual function issues when paralyzed. Men can have difficulty achieving an erection or ejaculating. Women can still become pregnant and carry the child to term.
If you or someone you love has suffered a spinal cord injury by the negligent actions of someone else, contact our law office today. Our New Orleans personal injury attorneys are ready to work for you. Medical care and rehabilitation can be costly. With compensation awarded to you, the proper care can be provided.
FREE CASE REVIEW
Speak to an Attorney Now!
We offer a free consultation for any person who contacts our New Orleans office with a potential personal injury case. We have no upfront retainer fees, and only collect our payment once we have successfully secured your settlement or trial award.
Awards & Honors
Attorney Brent Cueria founded the Cueria Law Firm, L.L.C. located in New Orleans, in order to focus on the representation of injured individuals, where his true passion is. Mr. Cueria uses his past experience to diligently advocate for the injured and disabled clients he now represents against the insurance companies.
Hotel Premises Liability Settlement
Automobile Accident Settlement
Tractor Trailer Injury
Jones Act Seaman Injured in Oil Spill
Jones Act Seaman Orthopedic Injury
Passenger in Truck Crash Trial
Positive Client Reviews
Talk to an Injury Attorney in
NEW ORLEANS for FREE
There are many factors that can affect the outcome of your case, but time is often the most important. Call Cueria Law Firm today to speak to an attorney about your claim, and get started on the path to physical, emotional and financial recovery.
The team at Cueria Law Firm is here to assist you in all steps of your case - setting up doctor's appointments, starting an insurance claim, requesting a rental car, and more. We understand life after an accident can be overwhelming, but you aren't going through it alone.