As a driver, most individuals take great care to stay safe on the roadways. However, an accident in New Orleans can often be unavoidable. Every car accident is different, having varying circumstances and will need to be handled on a case by case basis. At the Cueria Law Firm, L.L.C., we have found that while no two accidents are alike, there are common causes behind car accidents that lead to car wrecks on a regular basis. These causes are preventable when proper caution and care are exercised. In most cases, such car wrecks are the result of the negligence of the driver. Read on to find out the most common causes behind car wrecks and how they may apply to you.
Common Causes Behind Car Accidents
- Driving While Texting—texting and driving is a big no-no in New Orleans. Drivers who are found to be texting and driving by police can face stiff penalties, including fines. Accidents occur on a regular basis in New Orleans due to drivers being distracted while texting others.
- Neglected Vehicle Maintenance—vehicles need to be maintained on a regular basis in order to function properly. When a vehicle is not taken care of or abused, the vehicle will be a danger on the roadways. Tire pressure, brake light outages and other routine maintenance checks that are not completed can lead to crashes while driving.
- Drunk Driving—another major cause of car crashes that can be avoided is driving under the influence. Impaired drivers should never get behind the wheel as they are not able to function cognitively. Drunk drivers can lose focus or even become drowsy while driving which can lead to slower reaction times and ultimately a deadly crash.
- The Driver is Distracted—in today’s society, it is easy for a driver to become distracted. From cell phone use to playing with satellite radio, a driver can easily become distracted and an accident can occur.
- Roadways Are Unsafe—states in the US are required to maintain all roadways for proper driving conditions. When roadways are not cared for, such as unfilled potholes or limited visibility, serious collisions can occur.
- Defective Car Components—another common cause of an accident can be defective equipment. When a vehicle has equipment that fails to function, it can lead to a car wreck. Failure in the brakes, steering wheel, and other malfunctions can lead to the driver having an accident where one or more vehicles are involved.
If you live in Lousiana and have been injured in a car accident, contact our personal injury attorney today to learn more about your legal rights. You do not have to suffer alone due to the negligence or carelessness of another driver. These types of accidents can be avoided and you should not have to handle these situations alone. Our of highly experienced car accident attorneys can help you to get the justice you deserve when you have been injured in a car accident. Call our office today or contact us through our website to set up your consultation and get on the road to recovery.